Can Landlords Apply for Rent Relief on Behalf of Tenants & Does it Cover Lot Rent?

While we linked to TDHCA’s Q&A in our previous post, we continue to get questions from members on applying to the Texas Rent Relief Program.  The most common question is if a landlord, or community owner, can apply on behalf of delinquent tenants? 

The answer is an unequivocal – Yes.

This is pulled directly from the Texas Rent Relief FAQ: “The landlord is encouraged to start a tenant’s request in the system so that it is clearly and correctly correlated to the property and landlord. The system will then send an email to the tenant asking them to sign off (electronically) on the application and to provide any missing documentation, including income documentation. If the tenant does not have an email address, a call center representative will reach out to them. A tenant may also apply on their own, without the assistance of the landlord, in which case the landlord will be notified and asked to sign off and participate. A tenant electing to apply directly does not remove the program’s obligation to still seek to pay the landlord first.”

The FAQ also says for a landlord submitting on behalf of a tenant they will need the following to confirm:

  • Government Issued ID (if individual)
  • Rent or lease agreement (or rent receipt if no current agreement)
  • If applying on behalf of a condominium, Authorized Representative proof Completed IRS Form W-9
  • Household Certification Form (if not being provided by the tenant)
  • Household Income Documentation, as listed above (if not being provided by the tenant)


The other common question we are receiving is if the Texas program covers lot rent. 

 This answer is also yes. 

 And lot rent should remain covered even as the program continues under the new funding levels from the American Rescue Plan, as is evident by a March 10 Congressional Record, which stated:

“Renters would be able to receive up to 18 months of financial assistance, including future rent and utility payments (including pad rents in manufactured housing communities), and unpaid rent or utility bills that have accumulated. Renters can also receive assistance for other housing-related expenses necessary to promote housing stability, such as, but not limited to:, security deposits; relocation and rental fees for displaced households; late fees related to a former or current rental unit; and internet service provided to the rental unit.” (credit MHI and Dr. Lesli Gooch for this information)

If you have questions or need assistance with your application for the Texas Rent Relief Program, contact TDHCA toll-free at 833-9TX-RENT (833-989-7368) Monday-Saturday, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m., or email TDHCA at